Reflecting on the origin and evolution of historic thermal towns
The European Historic Thermal Towns Association (EHTTA), will host the next European Thermal Heritage Day with the support of the Mondariz Balneario Municipality, the Rural Development Group Condado Paradanta, and the Balneario de Mondariz and Aguas de Mondariz. This annual event will take place from
11th – 15th October in Mondariz-Balneario (Galicia, Spain). A varied programme of conferences, visits and parallel activities to reflect on therapeutic landscape in thermal towns, coincides with the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Public Utility of mineral waters of Mondariz.
EHTTA’s 6th European Thermal Heritage Day will begin on 11 October, with an opening ceremony which will include important local representatives from the Municipality and the organising committee.
During the panel, as part of a hybrid event, experts from Europe and America will analyse the origin, structuring elements in urban development and future perspectives of four contrasting thermal towns: Mondariz-Balneario (Spain), Caldas da Rainha (Portugal), Spa (Belgium) and Saratoga Springs (USA).
Presentations will be given by the following experts, followed by a Q&A session.
- Mario Crecente (EHTTA Scientific Committee President),
- Jorge Mangorrinha (PhD, Centro de Estudos Globais da Universidade Aberta),
- Anne Pirard (Spa local site manager for WHS Great Spa Towns of Europe)
- Samantha Bosshart (Executive Director of the Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation).
Finally Álvaro Bonet will speak live from Madrid to present the figure and works of Antonio Palacios,one of the most important architects in Spain during the first half of the 20th century. He was responsible for some of the most representative buildings in the capital, and played a key role in the design of Mondariz-Balneario.
Following the presentations on the first day, as part of a wider programme of visits and events, there will be a guided tour to the therapeutic landscape of Mondariz, visiting its fountains, buildings, gardens and parks and learning more about the myths and legends in the company of a local tour guide.
Full details of the whole programme including the exploration of the Therapeutic Landscape can be found in the Notes to Editors below.
– ENDS –
For further information please contact:
Simone Zagrodnik, EHTTA Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Historic Thermal Towns on social media
#HistoricThermalTowns #thermaltravels #europeanthermalheritageday #thermalheritage
Notes for Editors:
1. EHTTA is a membership organisation representing 50 members in 18 European countries and has two
2. EHTTA was certified as a Cultural Route of the Council of Europe in 2010 and is one of 48 Cultural Routes of
the Council of Europe which provide a wealth of leisure and educational activities for all citizens across
Europe and beyond and are key resources for responsible tourism and sustainable development. The
certification “Cultural Route of the Council of Europe” is a guarantee of excellence.
3. EHTTA was founded in 2009 with six Founding Members: Acqui Terme (Italy), Bath (UK), Ourense (Spain),
Salsomaggiore Terme (Italy), Spa (Belgium) and Vichy (France).
4. Since 2019 the association has been an Affiliate Member of UNWTO. In September 2022, EHTTA signed the
Glasgow Declaration on Climate Change in Tourism.
5. EHTTA’s European Thermal Heritage Day has been recognized as an example of Best Practice by the
European Institute of Cultural Routes (2018)
Additional Information on the Conference Programme (Oct 12–15)
A complete programme of activities, visits and workshops will allow participants to discover the natural and
cultural values of Mondariz Balneario:
- Morning walk along the river to the Troncoso fountain, to discover its history and learn about its
- On the way back to the hotel, a local guide will present all the secrets of the town’s villas and
- Afternoon: archaeological visit to Castro de Troña as well as to other nearby points of interest.
- The day ends in the spa gardens, with a botanical workshop and a theatrical visit based on the life
in the spa at the beginning of the 20th century.
An introduction to some of the main attractions of the Condado-Paradanta destination, where Mondariz
Balneario is located:
- Aguas de Mondariz bottling plant (with the director of the company)
- Interpretation Centre of Wine and Lamprey, two of the main local gastronomic products.
- Guided tour and cocktail at a local winery
- Science Museum Wine, one of the largest spaces for disseminating viticulture and oenology in
- Finally, a dramatized visit will recreate some of the most important historical events of Condada
October 14th and 15th :
The visit concludes with a complete relaxation programme at Balneario de Mondariz through the “Mondariz 150-year special programme” made up of private aquagym classes, thermal circuits and other complementary activities, such as the buggy circuit around the golf course and an initiation class in this discipline.